Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - Hong Kong Island
Western Market consisted originally of two separate blocks. The South Block at Queen's Road Central was built in 1858 and demolished in 1980. The remaining North Block, smaller and more compact in design, was built in 1906. It is in Edwardian style highlighted with "bandaged" brickwork on the four corner towers.
When the former Urban Council's market facilities came into operation in 1989, the market building became vacant and was later converted into a traditional trades, arts and crafts centre. It is now managed by the Urban Renewal Authority.