Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
search site map contact us

Declared Monuments in Hong Kong

Declared Monuments Hong Kong Island Kowloon New Territories Outlying Islands

Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - New Territories
Man Mo Temple (Fu Shin Street, Tai Po)
Man Mo Temple in Tai Po, which opened in 1892, was built with donations from the Tsat Yeuk Community to serve as a venue for meetings, arbitration and worship in Tai Wo Market Town. Man Cheong (God of Literature) and Mo Tai (God of Martial Arts), symbolising impartiality in handling all rural matters, are worshipped in the temple.

Man Mo Temple is a two-hall, one-courtyard structure. A pair of screen doors are placed in the front hall, flanked by two side rooms. The statues of Man Cheong and Mo Tai are enshrined in a beautifully crafted timber altar in the main bay of the rear hall. The temple is built of grey bricks and has traditional Chinese pitched roofs. The internal floors are paved with Canton tiles. Both the ridges and facade of the temple are decorated with fine plaster mouldings, and there is an exquisitely crafted wooden fascia board above the main entrance.

Large-scale restoration of the temple was undertaken by the Tai Po Tsat Yeuk Rural Committee in 1985, with technical advice and financial support provided by the Government.


  Man Mo Temple
Fu Shin Street, Tai Po (Plan)
Opening Hours Please contact Tai Po Tsat Yeuk Rural Committee at 2656 1223 for the opening hours of Man Mo Temple, Tai Po.

Figure : Transport

Tai Wo Station

Kowloon Motor Bus
72 Cheung Sha Wan - Tai Wo Bus Terminus
72X Mong Kok (Park Avenue) - Tai Po Central




The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.